Thursday, October 9, 2008

Hanoi, Vietnam to Vang Vieng, Laos

Well, what a leg of the trip which was a long hard section involving numerous steep hills and countless traditional hill tribes which rarely see foreigners making for some interesting times! Leaving Hanoi was a mission in it's self with heavy monsoon rains and my bike in worse shape than I first thought. I couldn't actually change any of the gears so was in real trouble from the start. After the first day I managed to fix my gears so some of the back ones worked and fixed the front ones into the lowest one so I could climb hills with it. Perfect, as for the next 9 days I was going over some very mountainous country. Crossing into Laos was a bit of a laugh as it was a remote border post and I had to wake the Vietnamese guys up to get stamped out before getting charged an entrance fee into Lao under the pretence of a 'stamp' processing fee. Not sure if that one usually comes with a receipt or not!! Anyways, being in Lao certainly didn't mean the heavy rain was going to abate so after one long day where I was cycling into the night as well, arriving at a town which didn't believe in turning on it's lights making it extremely hard to find a place to stay, right through to the next few days of riding where I and all of my gear were totally wet through. A rest day where I finally dried out all of my stuff and rested my legs was much needed then it was back on to the mountain roads for more hard riding. Some of the hills were just so ridiculously steep that pushing become the norm and the days become long tiring ones. At least the scenery and little traditional villages were interesting and the people really friendly but food was sometimes hard to come by so a bag of sticky rice carried on the back of my bike in the rain and sun would usually see me through a day. Not really enough to satisfy but something is better than nothing in those situations. Another concerted effort to fix my bike failed so it has made the riding a bit slower than anticipated but it has managed to stay together to my currently situation of Vang Vieng. The famous Lao town with it's amazing limestone cliffs, caves and the now infamous tubing down the local river which is all in store for my coming days rest and relaxation before I head to the capital to get the bike fixed as I now have a contact who owns a bike shop there. As time and money are running out, plus with the added bike dramas I've decided to head back to Bangkok then make a decision on where to work from there. Bummer, as the prospect of having to go back to work is a little daunting!! In the mean time check out the new photos in the Vietnam and Laos folders.

Riding Stats
> 27th Sept - 75km
> 28th Sept - 68km
> 29th Sept - 101km
> 30th Sept - 110km
> 1st Oct - 28km
> 3rd Oct - 103km
> 4th Oct - 87km
> 5th Oct - 55km
> 8th Oct - 138km
> 9th Oct - 104km
Total - 3704km

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pete,

Great blog and photos again. I think I might have passed on a
glass of wine though!! The villages are quaint to say the least. What a marvellous experience you are having and I am sure you have many more tales to share. Always take care.
Love M & D

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I guess working long hours for me doesn't seem that bad now!! Can't believe you were having sticky rice. Before you know, you'd love rice porridge for breakie!! Take care.

Same same.... but different!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey bro, the old bike mechanic course might have done you a treat! sounds like you need to throw in the towel and head to Ibiza!!! Which one's the toilet and which one's the shower?? Let us know where you end up, Take care, Andy Dee and Brenna

Iwan said...

hey!!
mudwrestling! were there any midgets involved or do you have to pay extra!or maybe theres a gap in the market there - a new career move instead of the big city.
and i think you should contact alex for some advice on trustworthy bikes!
hey, any time your in the area your more than welcome for a tour of belgium and its treats. the beer is still good!probalby heaps better than the piss your drinking over there!-oh that reminds me of a stat i read about mudwrestling - that 30% of all people piss doing it!!!
take care and keep in touch.
oh and cycling in morocco in jan!!

Anonymous said...

Turtle,
I am counting down the days before heading to Redneckville so will miss your return to NZ. Pity... I was looking forward to hearing the real stories from your trek. Hope the end of you travels workout with just enough drama - SlyChis has filled me in that your LHT is pretty much FCUKed. How is the health? You do know that too much rice is bad for you? More Speights is required cure...

Cheers, Hippovelo

nb. there are some good hills near Fresno to ride if you are ever interested.