Sunday, October 26, 2008

Vang Vieng, Laos to Nong Khai, Thailand

This section didn't involve much riding as once I arrived in Vang Vieng it was definitely a hard place to leave especially with all the activities on offer and the great people I met there. The main reason to go here is for the tubing, which is a lot of fun but as I found out can have it's pitfalls! Renting a tractor inner tube and being driven by tuk tuk 3 kms out of town you then enter the river and float back to into town. Sounds easy and pretty harmless but just to keep it exciting there are open air bars serving beer and shots with rope swings and zip lines situated along the river making for a fun but full on day. After a couple of minor injuries it was off to hospital the next day where the practices and care aren't quite up to the same standards as back home so it was an experience I could have done without! This also meant that I had to have a few days off the bike so it was a good opportunity to take in all the other sights and activities of the place and to do some relaxing. Finally back on the bike I cruised down to the capital of Laos, Vientiane where I was meant to get the bike fixed. My contact was away on holidays so I decided just to continue on back into Thailand where I'm currently relaxing at a hostel situated right on the Mekong river. The plan now is to cycle back to Bangkok and finish my cycling trip there all the time hoping the bike stays together. After 10 months and many adventures it will all be over in another week or so where I will have to consider working again!

Riding Stats
> 19th Oct - 157km
> 21st Oct - 27km
Total - 3888km

No comments: