Sunday, September 21, 2008

Hue to Hanoi

Cycling, crazy drivers, beef noodle soup and more cycling dominated this section of my trip where the road was mainly flat but the riding was hard due to the hot humid weather which drained my energy and ensured my water intake was immense. Food consumption seemed to be at an all time high as well where on more than one occasion two to three meals in one sitting wasn't uncommon to the much amusement of the locals at the restaurants! The main highway lived up to it's reputation as not the best place for cycling but some of the small towns and the scenery were worth the effort. With not much to do except to ride I was looking forward to getting to Hanoi and seeing what the city and surrounds had to offer so I was riding hard to hit my destination. Coming into Hanoi, I wasn't disappointed as it was chaotic but manageable and I found my hostel easily where it was a good change to be around backpackers and to swap travel stories over a few beers and to relax. I knew I was in the right place when I was greeted by the friendly staff in their 'don't take life so seriously.......it's not permanent' t-shirts and an invitation to the free keg on offer! A couple of days here before I head out to Halong Bay on a boat then back on the bike heading once again into the mountains and hopefully some quieter roads.

Riding Stats
> 15th Sept - 70km
> 16th Sept - 92km
> 17th Sept - 147km
> 18th Sept - 151km
> 19th Sept - 104km
> 20th Sept - 92km
Total - 2835km

5 comments:

Cole Kopacek said...

Peter, Nice meeting you at Hoa's...and always remember, "cam on you"!!

Hope the riding is going well. You can hit me up on my blog if you are ever bored: www.colegoestoasia.blogspot.com. No biking involved, just a lot of drinking.

Cheers man,
Cole

Anonymous said...

Hey Don Pedro,

still following your tour, asia sounds great, good street food as you expected? Your ribbon on your handlebar has got the dirty street look now.

cheers and always throw up the goats!!!

alex

Anonymous said...

Hey hope the ride in the mountains is not too hard and both you and your bike are holding up ok!! Looking forward to more stories and photos.

Same same... but different!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Pete, the journey seems to be getting better, it's really great to read your updates. We've sent you an email with our news. Get back in touch when you have a chance. Love, Jo, Neil and Bella xx

Anonymous said...

Hey all, I'm currently in the mountains of northern Lao and are having problems postig blogs, doing updates etc. I will be updating the blog in about 4 days time once I've made it to a bigger town. Thanks for the comments and emails.
Reevesy-Ryder