Monday, February 18, 2008

Oruro to La Paz

Riding out of Oruro was no where near as fun as riding into the place. It was early and there wasn´t much traffic around but I was on my way to La Paz and I was happy! There just wasn´t a great deal to do in Oruro so I decided to carry on north after only two nights in the city. The cycling was great as it was a proper pavement road the whole day winding through lots of little villages along the way. After a solid day of riding I came to a place with a hostel so decided to stop for the night. After some dinner and a great nights sleep I was up early for the 70 odd km´s to La Paz. I was so excited I forgot I left my sunglasses on top of my bag and just cycled off. About 5-6kms into it I was thinking somethings not right and I finally figured it out. I decided to back track and try and find my sunnies. I got all the way back to the hostel with no luck so I had to start the day over riding again this time highly pissed off!! Oh well, I´ll be adding sunnies to the shopping list for La Paz! The riding was a bit hilly and my legs were really sore so it was a long day. At a police check point on the way I meet a Kiwi guy on a motor bike heading south. It was great chatting to another Kiwi and to get some info on the towns to the north. Coming into La Paz was just amazing and the traffic was hard to negotiate but I found a hostel alright. Just as I was checking in a Swiss guy on a motor bike pulls up so after a quick shower we go out for a couple of beers and something to eat. The night ended up being another crazy South America one where we meet some others and bar hopped until the wee hours. Saturday was spent relaxing and recovering but was still an interest day! After a great night sleep its now time to explore La Paz and see what the city has to offer.

Riding Stats
> 14th Feb - 159km
> 15th Feb - 90km
Total - 2960km

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey all, just a quickie saying I'm still in La Paz and have email everyday so now is the time to get in touch if you were waiting for a time too!!!! Doing a bit of mountain biking tomorrow down the `world's most dangerous road`with a bunch of kiwis who own/run Gravity mountain biking so it should be some different riding to what I've been used to. Hope all is well and take care, Reevesy Ryder

Anonymous said...

Don't think I quite get the setence about the swiss guy the shower together and the crazy night...or somthing like that..

hehe, take care mate,
Tino

Anonymous said...

I've seen a photo of the world's most dangerous road - it looked horrific! Assuming you are still alive, hope all is going well in La Paz and you have found some more sunglasses..

woo