Wednesday, February 27, 2008

La Paz to Copa plus Isla Del Sol

After a week of relaxing and catching up on drinking and eating I thought it was time to get back on my newly serviced bike and head north again! I got up early and got the bike packed ready to head out of the hostel into a grey and wet La Paz morning. I wasn't thrilled as it was still a little dark, raining and I had a huge climb in front of me to get out of the city. After an hour and a half I'd made it the 12km out of the city which was one steep climb the whole way. After that it was another 140kms of hard riding but through spectacular scenery to my destination of Copacabana on the shores of Lake Titicaca (the worlds highest navigable lake). That night over dinner and a couple of beers I met a French guy, two German girls and an English/Burmese girl. We arranged to meet the following day to travel together to Isla Del Sol which is a island in the middle of Lake Titicaca and is a perfect place for hiking and exploring the Inca ruins which are scattered over it. The island was a surreal place which we managed to see a great deal of during the next couple of days via boat and hiking trips. The infamous Inca stairway was certainly a highlight even though my new travel mates thought it was the funniest thing!! After a cold boat ride back to Copacabana we finished the trip off with dinner and a few beers before I had to say goodbye to my new friends. I decided to stay another night in relaxing Copa before heading into Peru tomorrow and the long stretch to the city of Cuzco which should take me 5-6 days of seriously hard riding. I'm definitely looking forward to getting into Peru to see what it has to offer. Travelling by bicycle in Bolivia has been extremely challenging with the poor roads and high altitudes being two of the major factors influencing my experience. Also Bolivia is one of South America's poorest countries which can add another level to the travels!! In saying this I've had an amazing time travelling through and trying to interact with the people of Bolivia. It's definitely been a travel experience to remember....

Riding Stats
> 23th Feb - 153km
Total - 3121km

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice blondies!...the lake is fair enough...
cheers,
Tino.

Jeff Harper said...

Hey Reeves

Good luck with your continued adventures. It's obviously party central in south america. Seen any decent tarantula's?? It's my last day today which i personally am rather excited about.

Cheers

Jeff

Anonymous said...

Jeez Turtle - you're such a queen! All the way round the world just to go shopping for pants, hats and sunglasses.
Do some riding!

Anonymous said...

based on the rules I sent last week prowler reckons he can hold 2.4 kg.....