Friday, February 22, 2008

La Paz

Well, I've been in La Paz almost a week now and the city is still treating me well. The other day I when mountain biking down the ´world's most dangerous road' with Gravity Assisted Mountain Biking and it was truly amazing. One of the best and scariest rides I've been on and the team at Gravity were excellent. Check out the photos as we started the ride in the snow at 4700m above sea level and finished at an animal refuge in the jungle at about 1500m. They also serviced my touring bike for me and the bike now looks brand new again. Looking forward to getting it back out on the road heading north for Copacabana, hopefully in the next couple of days time. La Paz is a full on city but also fairly relaxing at the same time. There are truck loads of street markets, crazy drivers and loads of shoe shine boys who wear full black ski masks and basketball caps so you can just make out their eyes. The look pretty menacing but everyone seems all good. The food and beer are really cheap but you have to be a little careful about what you eat as I've found out!! The last day or two I've been a bit sick so have had to take it easy and recover! The plan is to hang out in La Paz for a couple more days before heading north, if i can ever figure out how to ride out of this city!! I've got a very long day or potentially two days riding to Copacabana which is situated on the southern shores of Lake Titicaca. From there I can do a bit of hiking and visit the nearby legendary Inca Islands of the Sun and Moon. It will be my first taste of Inca ruins before I hit Peru and the famous Machu Picchu.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice snake, turtle.

Anonymous said...

What up turtle!Peru sounds pretty sweet I bet you're looking forward to that. The mountain biking looks sweet as. If you come out here we'll take you out to Moab for some more chingow stuff. Had any flats yet? Adios amigo, Pies