Sunday, August 10, 2008

Thailand & Laos - Holiday Mode

Hey all, I'm back on the bike!! Well, I've finally finished being a lazy guy on holiday and managed to get back on the bike. In the last month and a bit I'm spent time in Bangkok, northern Thailand then crossed over into Laos for a couple of weeks before I headed down to the beaches of southern Thailand. All of it has been amazing but it was a long time to spend off the bike!! Anyways, I departed from Bangkok early yesterday morning and after a very hard first day on the bike I managed to roll into my destination town absolutely shattered! Getting out of Bangkok proved to be the challenge I was expecting and after 4 hours and over 50kms of getting lost and going around in circles I finally got on the correct road and out of the big bad city. Oh, I also got my first flat tyre which certainly didn't help. Feeling sore and warn out I found a hostel and crashed out. The next day didn't start much better and after about 30kms into the ride I started to throw up...not good but after a rest and something to drink I was back to it, all but very slowly. Finally reached my destination and again crashed out for a couple of hours before heading into the local markets for some food. I'm hoping the riding is going to get easier as my fitness gets back up to scratch and I get used to riding in this heat but until then I think it is going to be extra hard work. Well, from here I hope to cross over into Cambodia either tomorrow or the next day and head for the city of Siem Reap and the famous temples of Angkor Wat. Stay posted as again I will be updating the blog regularly from here on out.

Riding stats
> 8th Aug - 107km
> 9th Aug - 105km
Total - 212km

4 comments:

Cheap cheap....just for you!! said...

Hey I'm sure you'll be fine within a week!!! Looking forward to all the great stories along your trip!!

Anonymous said...

Pete,
Good to see you up and about again. Watch the hurlin' Mate!
Cheers, Steve C.

Anonymous said...

Turtle- good to hear you are back on the bike- sounds like heaps of fun!!

Anonymous said...

oops forgot to sign off - Im a Northern Monkey arent I