Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Antofagasta to San Pedro de Atacama

Heading out of Antofagasta was always going to be hard after a couple of days off the bike but I managed it. Straight into a hard climb but it easied off during the day. Slowly climbing for the rest of the day until I got to a little place called Sierra Gorda where I stopped for the night. Back into it early the next morning as I wanted to beat the worst of the sun as I knew it was another day of slow climbing to get to Calama. Once there I had a relaxing afternoon checking the place out and reading in the central plaza. I wanted an early night as I knew the ride to San Pedro de Atacama was going to be hard work but as typically with the Chileans they don't start drinking until about 1am and don't stop until dawn. They love having the TV or music banging away in the background so sleeping is impossible. Come 7am I'd had enough and it was getting light so I packed up and cycled out of there. After a night with no sleep I wasn´t really in the mood for 9-10 hours in the desert on my bike but luckily the scenery was fantastic. I had the amazing desert landscape all around me and with the Andes and numerous snow capped volcanoes in the background. The riding was hard as I climbed to my highest yet of 3350m before descending into San Pedro de Atacama. San Pedro is a touristy but relaxing little adobe village stuck in the middle of nowhere with all these natural wonders surrounding the town. There are geysers, hot pools, salt lakes and amazing rock formations all around so the next few days are going to be spend being a touirst and doing some of the sights. Finally I've meet some other travellers and even some other cycle tourists so it's been great chatting and hanging out with people I can actually talk with!!
The route map is updated now so check it out as I'm still deciding which way to take into Bolivia. I've been told one option is flooded out and would be madness by bike so maybe my decision has been made for me!! We'll see eh.

Riding Stats
> 25th Jan - 152km
> 26th Jan - 72km
> 27th Jan - 107km

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pete,

Its great following you on the map we now have. What an amazing adventure you are having. Sleepless nites are always hard even when you are not cycling. The Andes appears to be quite a challenge for you and its great hearing you are catching up with other travellers. Always take care. Love M & D