Monday, June 2, 2008

Medellin to Cartagena

Leaving Medellin and heading to my final destination of Cartagena felt good but the road soon turned into hard mountains again and the riding become extremely difficult. After a long day but with only completing about 80km it was getting late so we stopped in another small but cool Colombian town for the night. The next day we were up early and it was to be my last day riding in the Andes mountain range which I had followed on and off for most of my trip before the road went downhill for a good 50km into the Colombian lowlands. The temperatures increased dramatically and so did the scenery from the typical highland landscapes to a steaming hot tropical environment. The riding didn't seem to get any easier on the lowlands though as it was rolling hills and super hot so the intake of water increased to ridiculous levels as it was sweated out so fast. The instant change of scenery was great and you know you were in the tropics when the road kill changed to snakes, frogs and bats!! It was then another three days of hard riding where we clocked up some large kms in the attempt to reach Cartagena before the weekend. Then on Saturday 31st May right in the middle of the day I rolled into town completely exhausted but stoked to have completed my South American cycling journey. 5 months, 5 countries, lots of hard riding, loads of amazing people, heaps of fun and over 8600kms (all on my trusty bike) sure made for one incredible trip.
Well, where to from here?? I'll have a couple of days relaxing in Cartagena while trying to find a yacht I can crew on to sail through the Caribbean and hopefully up into the US. Then all going well I will head over to South East Asia and get back on the bike for more cycling adventures.
Thanks heaps for all the comments and support as they were always appreciated and it made some of the lonelier moments all the easier! I'll definitely keep the blog going for the coming adventures.......Reevesy-Ryder

Riding Stats
> 27th May - 83km
> 28th May - 143km
> 29th May - 147km
> 30th May - 159km
> 31st May - 112km

Total - 8618km

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing accomplishment Pete! I guess you’ll appreciate the time on a boat, not needing to peddle your average 60 k’s per day. My only advice would be keep away from those guys offering you a quick trip into Florida on board a speedboat, if you drive. Looking forward to your next posting – all the best.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pete,

So proud of your achievement you will be relaxing and have so many memories to look back on. The most interesting reading of the year no doubt about that. Always take care.

Love M & D

Anonymous said...

congratulations mate! you did it and in one piece!!!! you should be fucking proud of it!
take care,
tino

Anonymous said...

Turtle,
Your blog has been a great read and I am sure that it only just scratches the surface of your experiences. We are all waiting for the book. Have you contacted intrepid journeys?

No more dusty roads for awhile. Will there be a Reevesy-Ryder afloat? Here's a thought... Why dont you get one of those "peddalo" things with the big yellow wheels and ride on the water!

Hippvelo

Anonymous said...

Nice work Pete! The dwarves were a lovely touch. I can't believe you were chained to a desk 5 months ago. What a change. Great way to live your life.

Anonymous said...

Well, the sailing didn't work out so I'm currently in the US staying with my brother and his family which is a good change. He has already got me working thou so now I'm helping out with his business doing some painting!! A big shock to the system actually having to work again. Anyways, I head over to Thailand soon where after a short holiday I will start cycling again through SEA and maybe into Central Asia...we'll have to see how it goes. Thanks for the support and comments and I will update the site soon. Cheers, Reevesy-Ryder

Anonymous said...

try the following URL;

http://www.cyclingsilk.com//expedition/index.html